Blackboard System Requirements
|Minimum System Requirements||Recommended System Requirements|
|Processor:||1.0 GHz||2.0+ GHz or Greater|
|Memory:||1 GB||2 Gb or Greater|
|Internet Connection:||56K Modem (Dial-Up Connection)||High-Speed Connection (Cable, DSL, etc.)|
Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
|IE 10||IE 9||IE 8||Firefox
(Final Release Channel)
|Windows Vista (32-bit)||Unsupported by Microsoft||Certified||Compatible||Certified||Certified||Unsupported||Compatible|
|Windows Vista (64-bit)||Unsupported by Microsoft||Compatible||Compatible||Certified||Compatible||Unsupported||Compatible|
|Windows 7 (32-bit)||Compatible||Certified||Compatible||Certified||Certified||Unsupported||Certified|
|Windows 7 (64-bit)||Certified||Certified||Compatible||Certified||Certified||Unsupported||Certified|
|Windows 8 (32-bit)||Compatible||Unsupported
|Windows 8 (64-bit)||Certified||Unsupported
Apple® Mac OS® Operating System
|Safari 6.0.6||Safari 6.0.3||Safari 6.0.1||Firefox
(Final Release Channel)
|Mac OSX 10.6||Unsupported by Apple||Unsupported by Apple||Unsupported by Apple||Certified||Certified||Unsupported||Certified|
|Mac OSX 10.7||Certified||Certified||Certified||Certified||Certified||Unsupported||Certified|
|Mac OSX 10.8||Certified||Certified (10.8.3)||Certified||Certified||Certified||Unsupported||Certified|
- Blackboard strives to make all its products as accessible as possible. JAWS for Windows 9 and 120 were used during accessibility testing
- Blackboard Learn requires the latest version of Java. The latest version can be downloaded from http://java.com/en/.
- Internet Explorer 6 & 7
- Firefox 1.x, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 3.6
- Safari 2.0
- Mac OSX 10.4 “Tiger”
- Java 5
- Internet Explorer 8 is tested in Standards Mode. Some known issues can be resolved by using Compatibility Mode (emulates IE7 behavior).
Basic software tools such as Microsoft Office are recommended. Maintain all software applications at their most current level including Service Packs.
Blackboard Learn requires the latest version of Java. The latest version can be downloaded from http://java.com/en/.
Text files may be posted as .pdf requiring the free software Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing and printing .pdf files.
Some courses may require computer software as part of the requirement for the course. Instructors will usually identify unique software requirements in the course syllabus.
It is STRONGLY suggested that you have current anti-virus software on your computer when participating in a online course!
Web Browser Settings
Microsoft Internet Explorer is the preferred browser when using Blackboard.
1. Open your browser
2. Click on Tools button (it is located in the upper right part of the screen)
3. Select Internet Options.
4. Click on Security tab.
5. Click on Custom Level.
6. Scroll down until you see section labeled Active Scripting.
7. Select Enable.
8. Click OK to save changes.
9. Confirm Yes and click OK.
10. Close and restart the browser.
To enable Cookies:
1. From the browser window, click on the “Tools” button.
2. Select “Internet Options ”
3. Select the “Privacy” tab
4. Check your settings to see what level they are at. If they are on “Block All Cookies” you must lower your settings at least to “High”
Most browser problems associated with using Blackboard can be resolved by periodically deleting cookie files and updating Service Packs.
To delete Cookie files:
1. Open your Web browser.
2. From the Tools menu, click Delete Browsing History.
3. Click the Delete Cookies button.
4. Click OK.
Service Packs help to keep Internet Explorer current and update the functionality of your computer. Each new service pack contains the latest version of fixes as well as fixes associated with any previous service packs. Go to the Microsoft Help Page to download the most recent Service Pack.
Note: These instructions are for Internet Explorer, if using Firefox please consult Firefox’s Help menu.