The Dental Hygiene program is offered through Hillyard Technical Center (HTC) in St. Joseph, MO. The first year students take their general education courses at NCMC. Once they are accepted into the Dental Hygiene program, students will complete the required curriculum on HTC campus for the core 22-month program. Once the student has successfully completed the requirements (curriculum courses at NCMC, 15 hours with NCMC, core program at HTC, and submitted final HTC transcript), NCMC will confer the degree.
What is a Dental Hygienist?
A dental hygienist cleans teeth, examine patients’ for signs of oral pathology, and provides other preventative dental care. They also educate patients on ways to improve and maintain optimum oral health. Dental hygienist typically do the following: remove tarter, stains, and plaque from teeth, provide therapy to treat periodontal disease, administer local anesthesia, apply sealants and fluorides to help prevent tooth decay, take dental x-rays, assess patients’ oral health and report findings to the dentist, document patient care and treatment plans, and educate patients about oral hygiene techniques, such as how to brush and floss correctly.
- Pre-Requisite and general education courses at NCMC
- Core Dental Hygiene program at Hillyard Technical Center in St. Joseph, MO
- HTC Application Deadline: February 1
- The core program is 22-months: Starts in August
- 20 ACT composite score (within last 5 years) OR 2.8 GPA on pre-requisite and general education courses required to get into the Dental Hygiene program. If you have the 20 ACT than a 2.5 GPA in the pre-requisite and general education courses are sufficient.
- Minimum of “C” or above required in pre-requisite and general education courses
- Once all requirements are met, the student must submit a final HTC transcript to NCMC
- Application Process
Job outlook and wage information from What Can I Do With This Major are based on national data.
NCMC Contact Information
Kristi Cutsinger, MBA
Program Coordinator of Health Sciences
North Central Missouri College
1301 Main Street
Trenton, MO 64683
Dental Hygiene Contact
Nancy Horrocks, RDH, MS
Hillyard Technical Center
3434 Faraon Street
St. Joseph, MO 64506
Third Party Comments
This notice is to inform students, faculty, patients, and other interested parties of their rights to submit comments to CODA regarding NCMC/HTC Dental Hygiene Program adherence to accreditation standards. Signed or unsigned comments will be accepted, names and/or signatures will be removed from comments prior to forwarding to the program, and comments must pertain only to the standards. CODA is interested in the sustained quality and continued improvement of dental and dental related education programs, but does not intervene on behalf of individuals or act as a court of appeal for individuals in matters of admission, appointment, promotion, or dismissal of faculty, staff, or students.
Third party comments should be submitted to CODA at:
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60633-2678
(800)-621-8099 Ext. 4653