Diagnostic Medical Sonography
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography program is offered through Hillyard Technical Center (HTC) in St. Joseph, MO. The first year students take their general education courses at NCMC. Once they are accepted into the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program, students will complete the required curriculum on the HTC campus for the core 20-month program. Once the student has successfully completed the requirements (curriculum courses at NCMC, 15 hours with NCMC, core program at HTC, and submitted final HTC transcript), NCMC will confer the degree.
What is a Diagnostic Medical Sonographer?
A diagnostic medical sonographer operates special imaging equipment to create images or conduct tests. They typically do the following: prepare patients for procedures by taking a patients’ medical history and answering any questions about the procedure, prepare and maintain equipment, review images or test results to check for quality and adequate coverage of the areas needed for diagnoses, recognize the difference between normal and abnormal images, analyze diagnostic information to provide a summary of findings for physicians, and record findings and keep track of patients’ records. There are different types of diagnostic medical sonographers such as: abdominal sonographers, breast sonographers, musculoskeletal sonographers, pediatric sonographers, and obstetric and gynecologic sonographers.
- Pre-Requisite and general education courses at NCMC
- Core Diagnostic Medical Sonography program at Hillyard Technical Center in St. Joseph, MO
- HTC Application Deadline: December 1
- Minimum of “C” or above required in pre-requisite and general education courses
- GPA of 2.75 required on pre-requisite courses and general education courses
- This is a 5-day a week program
- The core program is 20 months – Starts in August
- Must obtain your CNA
- Once all requirements are met, the student must submit a final HTC transcript to NCMC
- Application Process
Job outlook and wage information from What Can I Do With This Major are based on national data.
NCMC Contact Information
Kristi Cutsinger, MBA
Program Coordinator of Health Sciences
North Central Missouri College
1301 Main Street
Trenton, MO 64683
Diagnostic Medical Sonography Contact
Jaclyn Pruitt, BC, RVT, RDMS
Hillyard Technical Center
3434 Faraon Street
St. Joseph, MO 64506