North Central Missouri College
Student Complaint Policy

The North Central Missouri College (NCMC) Student Complaint Policy is available to students who wish to have a concern resolved regarding a process or person of the college community not covered by existing policies. The objective of the NCMC Student Complaint Policy is to resolve concerns as quickly and efficiently as possible at the level closest to the student. A complaint should be filed during the semester of occurrence but no later than 60 days from the first day of the following academic semester.

There are four main categories of complaints. These categories are academic, non-academic, business operations, and harassment incidents.

Academic complaints/grievances are reported through the appropriate academic leadership for resolution beginning with the faculty members, Dean and Vice President as appropriate. Information regarding the policies and procedures for students who wish to purse academic complaints and grievances are detailed in the Academic Catalog. The Student Handbook and Nursing Department Handbook also contain procedures. Students who wish to purse academic complaints and grievances should follow the prescribed policies and procedures outlined in the respective publication.

Non-academic complaints/grievances are submitted to the Dean of Student Affairs for addressing appropriate action/resolution. This policy/procedure is identified in the College Catalog, as well as the Student Handbook.

Business Operations complaints/grievances are submitted to the Chief Financial Officer for addressing appropriate action/resolution.

Harassment incidents are submitted to the Title IX Coordinator for addressing appropriate action/resolution.

Complaints/grievances are reported in the following publications:

Supporting Documentation Location
College Catalog
Student Handbook
Nursing Dept. Handbook
NCMC Website

*Printed copies can be obtained by contacting the Dean of Student Services


Written or typed complaints signed by a student and provided to one of the Reporting Officials will be considered formal complaints. Complaints can be provided via US mail, pirate email, faxed or hand-delivered. For the purposes of this policy, a student is someone who is currently enrolled full- or part-time or who has recently been enrolled in the institution. If the complainant is someone who has not been enrolled during the previous two semesters or academic year, must reapply for admission, or an alumnus who received an NCMC degree or certificate two or more years ago, they are not considered a student for the purposes of this policy. Complaints received from non-students will not be tracked for the purposes of this policy, including non-student complaints that might relate to a student(s).



Initially, the student who is considering submitting a complaint should attempt to resolve the concern directly with the appropriate faculty member, staff member or student. If the complainant is not satisfied, or not willing to address the issue with the individual, a formal process may be initiated.


  1. Write a letter directed to the Reporting Official containing a brief narrative of the facts of the complaint. There is no complaint form. Please type your complaint and sign and date. Include contact information for future correspondence.
    • Attach documentation to support your narrative wherever possible. Helpful documentation might include relevant portions of the college catalog, letters or e-mail exchanged between you and a faculty/staff member, etc.
    • Include the specific outcome/remedy you are seeking.
    • Provide the Reporting Official with the report, including the appropriate attachments. Complaints can be provided by:
      • Mailing to the appropriate Reporting Official at: 1301 Main Street, Trenton, MO 64683
      • Emailing them from your pirate email account to the Reporting Official. Staff email addresses are located in the back of the college catalog
      • Delivering them to the Reporting Official’s campus office
  2. If the complaint is against the Reporting Official, it should be sent to the Reporting Official’s supervisor. A Dean or Vice President can assist in obtaining the supervisor’s name and contact information.
  3. If the complaint is forwarded to the incorrect Reporting Official, the complaint will be forwarded to the appropriate Reporting Official. The complainant will be notified of this action, including the name and title of the Reporting Official receiving the complaint.

The Reporting Official will initiate the resolution process by investigating the complaint within ten business days. The Reporting Official will either make appropriate changes/follow-up to resolve the matter or uphold the initial process/policy. A response to the complainant will be sent within ten business days of receipt of the complaint. If a longer time is needed to investigate and make a decision, the Reporting Official will make a reasonable extension of the deadline and contact the complainant to notify them of the new deadline.

If the complainant is not satisfied with the resolution, an appeal can be made to the Reporting Official’s supervisor within ten business days from the receipt of the decision. If the complaint is against the Reporting Official, an appeal to the administrator’s decision should be made to the administrator’s supervisor. A decision regarding the appeal will be conducted within ten business days of receipt of the complaint appeal. The decision on the appeal is final.


Written, formal complaints signed by a student to one of the Reporting Officials will be tracked on a spreadsheet provided on a shared drive. The Reporting Official handling the complaint is responsible for submitting the required information on the spreadsheet, including appeal information. Paper files and supporting documentation may be kept in the respective Reporting Official’s area.

Tracking information will contain, but is not limited to the following information:

  • A copy of the student’s complaint.
  • The date the complaint was initially received by the Reporting Official.
  • The nature of the complaint.
  • A decision from the Reporting Official regarding the complaint.
  • The College’s final decision regarding the complaint, should an appeal occur.

The annual Institutional Record of Student Complaints will be maintained on record for a period of three years. The annual Report will contain the following information:

  1. The total number of complaints received by each Reporting Official.
  2. The nature of complaints received by generic category.
  3. A summary record of each complaint received, the action taken by Reporting Official and/or College.


The annual Institutional Record of Student Complaints will not include the name of the complainant or name(s) of any individuals involved in the facts of complaint. NCMC is required to share complaint information with accreditors, but individual identities will be shielded.


The annual Institutional Record of Student Complaints will be presented to the President and the President’s Cabinet no later than August following the academic year of the Record. The President may work with this team to develop recommendations and/or additional action to ensure on-going quality service to students.


Academic suspension status* Dean of Student Affairs
Re-admittance for suspension Dean of Student Affairs
Admittance for suspension from another institution* Dean of Student Affairs
Academic continued probation* Dean of Student Affairs
Exit testing Vice President of Academic Affairs
Accommodation Request Appeals Dean of Student Affairs
Accommodation Grievances Coordinator of Accessibility Services
Grades Vice President of Academic Affairs
Financial aid SAP Financial Aid Committee
Teaching complaint Vice President of Academic Affairs
Add/Drop deadline Vice President of Academic Affairs
Withdrawal deadline Vice President of Academic Affairs
Graduation application deadline Dean of Student Affairs
Admissions deadline/Late Acceptance Director of Admissions
Enrollment deadline/Late Registration Vice President of Academic Affairs
Dual Credit Enrollment deadline/Late Registration Coordinator of Academic Support Programs
Housing/Dining buy-out Director of Housing
Housing Director of Housing
Administrative Drop for Non-payment/Payment deadline Chief Financial Officer
No-show billing Chief Financial Officer
Academic Conduct Catalog/Handbook policy
Non-academic Conduct Catalog/Handbook policy
Title IX Title IX Coordinator, Kristen Alley
Address: NCMC Campus, 12 Alexander Student Center
Phone: (660) 359-3948, ext. 1400
See Board Policy Manual
Program admission Vice President of Academic Affairs/Dean of Instruction/Dean of Nursing & Health Services
Course placement (DS classes) Vice President of Academic Affairs
Medical withdrawal* Dean of Student Affairs
Active duty withdrawal Dean of Student Affairs
Increasing course limits Vice President of Academic Affairs
Residency Dean of Student Affairs
Transfer course appeal Vice President of Academic Affairs
Electronic information/IT Conduct/Misuse Chief Information Officer

*Denote appeals that should use the Appeal Form located on the NCMC website or student portal.

If the complaint is not addressed above, the complainant can contact a Dean or the Vice President to determine the appropriate party or can send the complaint to one of the Reporting Officers listed above and they will forward to the staff member overseeing the area in which the complaint originated.


The Commission has established a clear distinction between individual grievances and complaints that appear to involve broad institutional practices. Where a complaint does raise issues regarding the institution’s ongoing ability to meet the Criteria of Accreditation, the Commission forwards the complaint to the institution and requests a formal response. HLC Contact information:
Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois 60604-1411
Phone: 312.263.0456 . Fax: 312.263.7462 .
Instructions on HLC website:


34 C.F.R. § 668.43(b) The Missouri Department of Higher Education serves as a clearinghouse for postsecondary student complaints. The MDHE complaint policy may be found at This webpage contains information about the complaint process and includes instructions for how to file a formal complaint. Note that the policy provides that a student who wishes to file a complaint with the department must first exhaust all formal and informal avenues provided by the institution to resolve disputes.


Any individual who believes that he or she or a specific individual or class of individuals has been subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability, in a health or human service program or activity conducted by a covered entity, may file a complaint with OCR. Complaints must be filed within 180 days from the date of the alleged discrimination. OCR may extend the 180-day deadline if you can show “good cause.”

Include the following information in your written complaint, or request a Discrimination Complaint Form from an OCR Regional or Headquarters office (complaints must be signed by the complainant or an authorized representative):

  • Your name, address, and telephone number.
  • Name and address of the entity you believe discriminated against you.
  • How, why, and when you believe you were discriminated against.
  • Any other relevant information.

Send your complaint to the Regional Manager at the appropriate OCR Regional Office, or to the address located below.

Kansas City
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
601 East 12th Street – Room 353
Kansas City, MO 64106
Customer Response Center: (800) 368-1019
Fax: (202) 619-3818
TDD: (800) 537-7697

Upon receipt, OCR will review the information provided. If OCR determines they do not have the authority to investigate your complaint, they will, if possible, refer it to an appropriate agency. Complaints alleging employment discrimination on the basis of disability against a single individual may be referred to the U. S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for processing. Private individuals may also bring law suits against a public entity to enforce their rights under Section 504 and the ADA; and may receive injunctive relief, compensatory damages, and reasonable attorney’s fees.

For Further Information, contact:

Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
200 Independence Avenue, SW – Room 506-F
Washington, D.C. 20201
Hotlines: 1-800-368-1019 (Voice) 1-800-537-7697 (TDD)


Kansas City Office (OCR Office for Missouri)
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
One Petticoat Lane
1010 Walnut Street, 3rd floor, Suite 320
Kansas City, MO 64106
Telephone: 816-268-0550
FAX: 816-268-0599; TDD: 800-877-8339
U.S. Department of Education
(OCR National Headquarters)
Office for Civil Rights
Lyndon Baines Johnson Department of Education Bldg
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-1100
Telephone: 800-421-3481
FAX: 202-453-6012; TDD: 800-877-8339

To file complaints of discrimination with OCR, you may use the online complaint form available at: or send a letter to the OCR enforcement office for the state of Missouri.

Department of Education and Attorney General Contact Information by State
State Department of Education State Listing Department of Education State Website Attorney General State Contact
Alabama Alabama Commission on Higher Learning Alabama
Alaska Department of Education and Early Development Alaska
Arizona Department of Education Arizona
Arkansas Department of Higher Education Arkansas
California California Postsecondary Education Commission California
Colorado Department of Higher Education Colorado
Connecticut Department of Education Connecticut
Delaware Department of Education Delaware
Florida Department of Education Florida
Georgia Department of Education Georgia
Hawaii Department of Education Hawaii
Idaho State Board of Education Idaho
Illinois Board of Higher Education Illinois
Indiana Commission for Higher Education Indiana
Iowa Department of Education Iowa
Kansas Department of Education Kansas
Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education Kentucky
Louisiana Department of Education Louisiana
Maine Department of Higher Education Maine
Maryland Higher Education Commission Maryland
Massachusetts Department of Higher Education Massachusetts
Michigan Department of Education Michigan
Minnesota Office of Higher Education Minnesota
Mississippi Department of Education Mississippi
Missouri Department of Higher Education Missouri
Montana Department of Education Montana
Nebraska Department of Education Nebraska
Nevada Department of Education Nevada
New Hampshire Department of Education, Higher Education New Hampshire
New Jersey Commission on Higher Education New Jersey
New Mexico Department of Education New Mexico
New York Office of Higher Education New York
North Carolina State Board of Education N. Carolina
North Dakota Department of Public Instruction N. Dakota
Ohio Department of Education Ohio
Oklahoma Department of Education Oklahoma
Oregon Department of Education Oregon
Pennsylvania Academic suspension status* Pennsylvania
Rhode Island Department of Elementary & Secondary Education Rhode Island
South Carolina Commission on Higher Education S. Carolina
South Dakota Department of Education South Dakota
Tennessee Higher Education Commission Tennessee
Texas Higher Education Commission Board Texas
Utah State Board of Education Utah
Vermont Department of Education Vermont
Virginia Department of Education Virginia
Washington Higher Education Coordinating Board Washington
West Virginia Department of Education West Virginia
Wisconsin Academic suspension status* Wisconsin
Wyoming Department of Elementary & Secondary Education Wyoming
Washington DC Commission on Higher Education Washington DC