CLASSIFICATION: Student Worker
DEPARTMENT: Peer Counselor
REPORTS TO: Sarah Williamson, MDHE Peer Counselor Program Coordinator
CONTRACT TERMS: Spring 2019
LOCATION: Trenton, Missouri-Main Campus
Position Summary: The peer counselor provides support to Financial Aid office and Associate Vice President of Student Affairs with retention and default prevention initiatives.
Essential Functions: Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Attend three webinar trainings
- Make calls to delinquent borrowers
- Create sidewalk chalk messages around campus
- Send out strategic mailings
- Assist with default prevention/financial literacy events
- Assist with default prevention/financial literacy presentations
- Meet one-on-one with peers to counsel on a variety of subjects to include budgeting and loan counseling.
- Assist students with FAFSA completion, Student Loan Entrance and Exit Counseling, navigating NSLDS.
- Assist with compiling data requested by MDHE
Skills: Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. Attention to detail. Strong organizational skills. Ability to work collaboratively with others. Working knowledge of campus resources and platforms including MyCompass and Blackboard.
Physical Demands: Moving about between buildings on the NCMC campus. Able to use stairs or elevator to access classrooms and study rooms. Be available for some evening and weekend events; able to do repetitive tasks; remain stationary at a desk for short periods of time; use of keyboard (or other input device) for communication.
Environmental Demands: Fluctuations while walking on tile and carpeted floors in a heated and air conditioned environment.