STUDENT WORKER—PEER MENTOR
CLASSIFICATION: Student Worker
DEPARTMENT: Peer Mentor
REPORTS TO: Lead Instructor College Seminar; email@example.com, 660-357-6334
LENGTH: Fall 2017
LOCATION: Trenton, Missouri-Main Campus
Position Summary: The peer mentor provides support and encouragement to students enrolled in College Seminar (CS102), helping students connect to the college environment and access services and other resources available.
Essential Functions: Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Attend three-hour training
- Attend class sessions of the mentor’s assigned College Seminar (CS102) class and maintain individual mentoring hours
- Lead study groups
- Meet with the mentor’s assigned College Seminar class instructor
- Complete required reports and participate in project evaluation
- Refer students to NCMC resources
- Maintain a commitment to the program for designated semester
- Coordinate co-curricular activities and conduct team-building activities
- Maintain regular and consistent communication with assigned mentees through email, the Remind app, phone calls, and face-to-face interaction
Skills: Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. Attention to detail. Strong organizational skills. Ability to work collaboratively with others. Working knowledge of campus resources and platforms including MyCompass and Blackboard. Successfully completed at least 12 credit hours at NCMC with GPA of 2.8 or higher. Obtained a recommendation from at least one NCMC faculty member. Preference will be given to students who have successfully completed College Seminar (CS102).
Physical Demands: Moving about between buildings on the NCMC campus. Able to use stairs or elevator to access classrooms and study rooms. Be available for some evening study sessions with students; able to do repetitive tasks; remain stationary at a desk for short periods of time; use of keyboard (or other input device) for communication.
Environmental Demands: Fluctuations while walking on tile and carpeted floors in a heated and air conditioned environment.