Remaining A+ Eligible
- Maintain at 2.5 GPA
- Be degree-seeking
- Stay enrolled in at least 12 credit hours (6 hours for summer)
- Complete a FAFSA every year, and
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
*Please note: For A+ purposes, summer is the “header” semester, followed by fall and spring semesters. Cumulative GPAs will be checked after the spring semester following the student’s initial enrollment to determine future A+ eligibility. This applies to students in their first-year of the A+ program ONLY. After the first spring semester, a 2.5 cumulative GPA will need to be maintained at the end of each following semester.
SAP for A+
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) must be maintained by all students. However, SAP for A+ students has additional restrictions in order to remain A+ eligible. They include:
- Obtain a 2.5 GPA
- Maintain at least a 67% completion rate (A+ will not pay for repeated or withdrawn classes)
- Complete degree within 105% of what is needed for degree
*SAP requirements for non-A+ students receiving financial aid differ. Please see NCMC website for additional details.
**Developmental Studies (DS) classes or other pass/fail classes DO NOT count toward grade point average.
If A+ is Lost Due to GPA, Can It Be Regained?
Yes, if the students GPA falls under the required 2.5 (4.0 scale), they can raise their GPA to regain the A+ scholarship if it is before A+ eligibility expires.
A+ Expires When One of the Following Conditions Occur:
- 48 months pass after transcript-ed high school graduation, or
- Completion of 105% of the hours required for the program in which the student is currently enrolled, or
- Student completes a degree or certificate
Military Students May be Eligible for an Extension of A+ Benefits
If a returning student or incoming student ceases attendance for the purpose of providing service in any branch of the U.S. armed forces, the eligibility of the student will be extended for the period of the service as documented on the student’s DD214 form. Remaining eligibility will be retained if the student returns to full-time status, or qualify for an exception to the full-time status requirement, within twelve months of the end of military service and provides verification to the department that the military service was satisfactorily completed. *For more information, see the NCMC A+ Coordinator.