Career Fair Success Steps
The annual Career/Employment Fair provides an opportunity for students and community members to learn about career pathways and employment opportunities with a variety of businesses and transfer colleges in one location.
1. Preparing for the Career Fair
- Research the employers that interest you by visiting their websites.
- Make a list of the employers you want to meet with.
- If you will be interviewing at the fair, practice interviewing skills with mock interviews prior to the fair.
- Develop a professional resume and bring multiple copies to give to potential employers.
- Make sure you dress in appropriate business attire.
2. During the Fair
- Be confident & shake hands firmly when introducing yourself to prospective employers.
- Collect information of potential employers for further research.
- Always ask for a business card from any companies that interest you so that you can follow up.
3. After the Fair
- Call the potential employer to see if they have your information and check on the status of job opening.
- Write thank you notes to the representatives of businesses that you have strong interest in.
Employer Expectations of Attendees
Attendees need to:
Be prepared to focus and answer questions in a professional manner
- Dress professionally
- Bring extra resumes
- Not just show up for the items being given away
- Be knowledgeable about the company they are interviewing with