About NCMC
Future Student
Current Students
Alumni & Friends

Dual Credit FAQ 

1. Will my dual credit classes transfer?

The Missouri Department of Higher Education does have a dual credit policy (link to regarding the transferability of dual credit courses. Generally speaking if you take 5 or fewer dual credit courses there should be no problem with those courses being accepted. Individual schools will have different guidelines for acceptance of credit beyond the five courses. It would still be advisable to see if the courses you planned to take as dual credit would apply to your degree, however. Check the NCMC transfer guides for common transfer schools and majors that will help you carefully choose your courses. Many Missouri schools list course equivalencies on their web sites. Following the admissions links for transfer students will usually lead you to such information if it is listed. NCMC has linked several of those pages on our transfer guides page as well. If you work with your advisor and follow these, you should be OK. However, transfer schools sometimes make program changes that we don’t know about so be sure you are working with them, too. Check with the department for your major at the school to which you will transfer to make sure you are on the right track. It is always the receiving school’s decision about whether a course transfers and how it will be used. Occasionally a transfer school will want more information about a course, such as a syllabus and the Dean of Instruction’s Office will be glad to help you with that.

2. Should I take all the dual enrollment classes available to me?
Not necessarily. It is advisable to see if the class is one required for your degree or will work as elective credit. Students planning on completing the Associate in Arts (AA) degree can refer to the
degree outline to see if a class is required or will work as elective credit.

3. I’m on track for the A+ Scholarship. Should I take dual enrollment classes now when my scholarship will pay for them if I wait?
There is no one right answer here. Some students may wish tackle certain subjects with peers they already know well (such as speech). In that case it may be advisable to take the dual enrollment speech class even though you would have to come up with the money to pay for it. (Financial aid is not available to students until they complete their high school education or their GED.) Having some credits under your belt will allow a student to take fewer hours each semester and still finish at NCMC in 4 semesters. Students interested in math and engineering majors should probably take all the dual enrollment math classes available in order to complete the Calculus sequence before transferring to their 4 year school.

4. What if I don’t plan to transfer after attending NCMC?
If you are planning to complete a career certificate or an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree at NCMC, contact the advisor for your program to check to see if your dual credit course can be applied.