What is Upward Bound?
- 100% Funded by the U.S. Department of Education.
- UB was established at NCMC in 1997.
- UB helps students overcome class, social, academic and cultural barriers to higher education.
- There is No Cost to UB students; all of UB services are FREE.
- UB at NCMC serves 50 students.
- For 9-11th grade students interested in attending college after high school.
- Students are eligible for UB if the following are met:
- Federal income guidelines.
- Are a first-generation college student (neither parent received a four-year degree).
- Show potential for academic success in college but lack skills, motivation, or self-confidence.
- Attendance at one of the six target schools:
- Chillicothe R-II
- Gallatin R-V
- Grundy R-V
- Hamilton R-II
- Trenton R-IX
- Tri-County R-VII
Benefits of UB
- Students receive tutoring after school, which helps prepare them for college by improving their grades.
- Students receive academic advising, career exploration, assistance with college selection and financial aid/scholarship applications, mentoring, cultural and recreational activities, and much more!
- Students get a jump start on upcoming fall courses with summer UB academic courses.
- Students earn a monthly stipend during the academic year and a weekly stipend during the summer component.