How to Apply for Financial Aid
- The first step in applying for financial assistance is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- You must create an FSA ID before completing the FAFSA. You will use your FSA ID to make corrections to your FAFSA, sign master promissory notes, complete entrance counseling, look up personal data on federal systems, etc. It is very important that you retain and protect your FSA ID.
- By completing the FAFSA you will be applying for Federal assistance*. If you complete the application prior to February 1 you are automatically considered for State funds if you are a Missouri resident. In addition, by applying early you can ensure your financial aid is processed prior to the following semester’s tuition deadlines.
- If transferring to North Central Missouri College (NCMC), request all academic transcripts from all previously attended colleges be sent to NCMC, whether or not you received funds. If you are transferring in the middle of an academic year, be sure and ask that all remaining financial aid disbursements be cancelled so your aid can be processed here.
- Some students are randomly selected for a process called “verification”. The selection is made when your application is processed by the Department of Education. If you are selected for “verification”, you will need to provide a copy tax documents used to complete the application and complete a worksheet we will provide for you.
- If you wish to apply for a Foundation Scholarship, you must complete the NCMC Scholarship Application prior to April 1.
- Applications for financial aid must be completed by the semester’s priority deadline in which you plan to enroll in order for a timely financial aid package to be awarded.
- Funds are awarded for the full academic year, excluding summer. Fall applicants must have completed all necessary documentation by July 1; Spring – November 1; Summer – April 1.
*To receive Federal Financial Assistance you must meet all Admissions Requirements and be a student who is taking courses leading to a degree at NCMC.
After the FAFSA, what next?
- Apply for Admissions to NCMC.
- After you are admitted to NCMC you will be mailed a student ID number, school email account information, and password.
- Be sure to check your school email account often! Most correspondence from the Financial Aid Office will be sent to that e-mail address.
- The Financial Aid Office will notify you of FAFSA verification selection and requested documentation, if applicable.
- Once FAFSA verification is complete, you will receive your financial aid award notification. If not selected for verification, your financial aid award notification will be sent to you upon receipt of your FAFSA.