If a student cannot attend school due to military service lasting more than 30 consecutive days, NCMC will readmit them at the same academic status they had at the time of their last attendance or acceptance. The student must not have received a dishonorable or bad conduct discharge, general court-martial, or federal or state prison sentence to be eligible for readmission as a service member.
MILITARY SERVICE, FOR THE PURPOSE OF THIS GUIDELINE, INCLUDES:
- voluntary or involuntary
- armed force service, including the National Guard or Reserve on active duty
- active duty for training or full-time National Guard duty under federal authority
- service is under federal authority, rather than state
The student must notify the Associate Vice President of Student Affairs of the student’s military service as far in advance as is reasonable under the circumstances. The student may, alternatively, submit an attestation of military service at the time of readmission. No notice is required if precluded by military necessity.
The student must also notify the Associate Vice President of Student Affairs of their intent to return to NCMC within three years after the completion of the period of service and provide appropriate documentation. If a student is injured due to service, the student will be given a two year extension from the end of the recovery period to provide notification.
DOCUMENTATION OF SERVICE SHOULD ESTABLISH ELIGIBILITY AND MAY INCLUDE:
- DD (Department of Defense) 214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty
- Copy of duty orders prepared by the facility where the orders were fulfilled carrying an endorsement indicating completion of the described service
- Letter from the commanding officer of a Personnel Support Activity or someone of comparable authority
- Certificate of completion from military training school
- Discharge certificate showing character of service
- Copy of extracts from payroll documents showing periods of service
- Letter from National Disaster Medical System (NDMS) Team Leader or Administrative Officer verifying dates and times of NDMS training or Federal activation
At the time of readmission, the student will be admitted at the same academic status into the next program class, unless a later date is requested. NCMC reserves the right to readmit at a later date to extenuating circumstances. If the program is no longer offered, admittance will be offered into a similar program.
If NCMC determines that the student is not prepared to resume the program, NCMC will make reasonable efforts to assist the student to become prepared. However, NCMC will not readmit a student if it is determined that there are no reasonable efforts available to prepare the student to resume the program at the same point or enable them to complete, or that the student is not prepared after reasonable efforts are made.
For the first academic year, a student readmitted to the same program will be charged tuition and fee charges they would have been assessed for the academic year during which he left the school. However, if veteran education benefits or other service member education benefits will pay the higher tuition and fee charges for the year, the school may assess those charges to the student as well.
The cumulative length of the absence and of all previous absences from the school for military service may not exceed five years. Only the time the student spends actually performing service is counted. Please see the military/veteran advisor for possible exclusions.