- Windows 10 (Professional, Education, or Home)
- Intel Core i5 6th generation or better / AMD Ryzen 3 processor or better
Monitor and video card
- Laptop: LCD 1920×1080 (1080p) resolution or higher
- Desktop:19″ or greater monitor
- 256 gigabytes or larger; solid state drive (SSD) highly recommended
- 12 gigabytes or more for typical use
- Required: Antivirus Software. Windows Defender is sufficient for Windows 10 computers.
- Office 365 is available for free PC as part of NCMC’s Office 365 service. There is no need to purchase Office.
- Tool to read PDFs, such as Adobe Reader (also free)
- An internet connection speed of 4Mbps minimum with a recommendation of 6Mbps or greater.
- Wireless : 802.11ac or Wifi 5 recommended for wireless access on campus. (A wireless network card that supports both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless bands is preferred)
- Access to a phone for receiving multifactor authentication (MFA) prompts. Phone access will be needed when signing into various applications and devices. Students will sign in with username and password and will also be required to input a one-time code to further verify their identity.
- Highly Recommend: Use a mobile phone for MFA purposes. A land line can be used as a stop gap, but students must have the phone with them when authenticating. MFA prompts are a frequent and recurring need, unique to each device and application.
- Chrome books are not supported as they do not have full resources to run the entire Office365 suite nor are they capable of running Respondus (NCMC’s exam proctoring software).
- Web applications occasionally do not work well with all browsers. Individuals are encouraged to install at least one alternative browser (either Chrome or FireFox) in addition to the default browsers provided with the operating system.
- Netbooks, tablets, and phones do not have the computing power of a normal laptop or desktop computer, for this reason they are not recommended for use as a primary computer at NCMC.
- Use a backup program like Windows with an external hard drive or a personal Microsoft OneDrive account to ensure file recovery in the event of a system malfunction.
- Ensure you have everything needed to connect and use your systems, including power cables, USB cables, and Ethernet cables.