DEPARTMENT: Physical Plant
REPORTS TO: Director of Facilities
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
FULL TIME/PART TIME: Full-Time, permanent, works year round
SHIFT: Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. (typical schedule, some alterations could occur) On call rotation-some nights and/or weekends
LOCATION: Savannah campus
Position Summary: Perform a wide variety of custodial and maintenance duties in order to provide a clean, orderly and safe environment; and perform related work as required. Maintenance duties are semi-skilled and do not require journeyman trade of craft knowledge. The position requires the ability to inspect facilities and conduct minor maintenance on buildings, fixtures, furnishings, as well as general cleaning and grounds keeping. The position will troubleshoot maintenance problems; respond to emergency calls for service, and handle or coordinate repairs and renovations with the Director of Facilities that may include the coordination of services provided by outside vendors. Works closely with employees and the public to meet the custodial needs of the area; and resolves problems to ensure efficient and safe operations.
Essential Functions: Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Maintain exterior grounds, including; cut grass, trim and edge around walkways, flowerbeds, and walls. Prune shrubs and trees. Plant grass, flowers, trees and shrubs. Remove damaged branches. Rake leaves, and pick up debris and twigs. Spray lawns, shrubs, and trees with fertilizer, herbicide, and insecticides. Keep grounds clean.
- Provide winter grounds maintenance: Plow and shovel snow from parking lots, walks, and driveways. Spread salt on public passageways to prevent ice buildup.
- Perform basic maintenance duties: carpentry duties and repair building exteriors, walls, and floors. Perform non-skilled plumbing and electrical duties as assigned. Paint interior and exterior or buildings. Lay carpet and flooring. Maintain electrical fixtures. Perform equipment maintenance. Install new concrete or make repairs. Perform routine maintenance on HVAC equipment.
- Perform various custodial services: Clean and polish lighting fixtures, surfaces, baseboards, trim, and walls. Sweep, scrub, strip, paint, wax, and polish floors. Vacuum and clean carpets, rugs, upholstered furniture, and draperies. Dust and move furniture and equipment. Wash walls, ceilings, woodwork, windows, door panels, and windowsills. Empty trashcans, paper shredders, and transport trash to disposal areas.
- Clean areas, which may include: class rooms, hallways, lobbies, lounges, restrooms, corridors, elevators, stairways, break room kitchens and others as assigned.
- Replenish bathroom supplies and replace light bulbs in work areas, when necessary.
- Set up tables and chairs.
- Follow proper safety procedures and perform hazardous materials cleanup.
- Ability to work with the following cleaning chemicals: strippers, finish waxes, ammonia, bleach, and other cleaners. Carry cleaning supplies.
- Be able to complete work assignments in an unsupervised environment.
- Perform opening and closing facility duties when necessary.
- Distribute freight and boxed items throughout buildings.
- Master the use of all janitorial equipment (buffers, strippers, shampooers, vacuums, floor scrubbers, floor keepers, etc.).
- Order all custodial supplies; ensure adequate inventory levels, and monitor usage.
- Respond to after hour calls, alarms, and campus needs.
- Recommend necessary purchases to Director of Facilities.
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Facilities.
Education: High school diploma/GED.
Experience: Prefer an individual with some knowledge and experience in the following areas: electrical, custodial, plumbing, HVAC, carpentry, painting, and landscaping.
Skills: General maintenance and lawn care skills. Ability to operate maintenance and lawn care equipment and vehicles. Must hold a valid driver’s license. Ability to work with hand and power tools.
Physical Demands: Lift and move up to 75 lbs., remain stationary for extended periods of time while performing duties, moving about between buildings on the NCMC campus, ascending and descending stairs, reaching, pulling, and pushing equipment, able to do repetitive tasks, bending, stooping, reaching overhead, and climbing a ladder.
Environmental Demands: Working in outdoor conditions with weather fluctuations. Frequent fluctuations between moving indoors and outdoors on tile, carpet, hardwoods, concrete, or blacktop with uneven surfaces.