DEPARTMENT: Savannah Campus
REPORTS TO: Resource Center Coordinator
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
FULL TIME/PART TIME: part-time
LOCATION: Savannah Campus
Position Summary: Professional tutors facilitate student academic skill development. This position requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Tutors coordinate learning and provide one-to-one and small group tutoring within the Savannah Campus Resource Center. Tutors will work with students to assess their learning needs, set short-term goals for the session, long-term goals for academic development, and assist them in reaching those goals. Tutors will act as referral agents for students struggling either academically or personally and should have a genuine concern for the needs of students.
Essential Functions: Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Attend tutor training workshops, meetings, and other tutoring activities
- Conduct small-group or one-to-one tutoring sessions
- Help students develop positive study habits and skills
- Assist students with projects and prepare for quizzes and tests
- Explain concepts and ask questions that encourage students to think and work independently
- Encourage students to complete homework assignments
- Be at work on time as scheduled
- Maintain contact with the Tutoring Coordinator and appropriate staff members
- Proctor course level tests under supervision of testing staff
- Exhibit respect and a helpful attitude toward all students and NCMC faculty and staff
- Associates Degree required
Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred
Experience: A strong knowledge of the subject area tutoring with tutoring experience preferred.
Skills: Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Physical Demands: Moving about in buildings and on the NCMC campuses; reaching, pulling, and pushing when performing office duties; remain stationary at a desk for extended periods.
Environmental Demands: Fluctuations while moving on tile and carpeted floors in a heated and air conditioned environment.