Part-time Position: Tutoring Center Professional Tutor
Department: Tutoring Center
Department Supervisor: Jayne Meservey
Phone Number: 660-357-6334
Email: [email protected]
Wage per hour: $12.50
General Job Description:
Professional tutors facilitate student academic skill development. This position requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Tutors coordinate learning and provide one-to-one and small group tutoring online or on campus. Tutors will work with students to assess their learning needs, set short-term goals for the session, long-term goals for academic development, and assist them in reaching those goals. Tutors will act as referral agents for students struggling either academically or personally and should have a genuine concern for the needs of students.
- Attend tutor training meetings
- Conduct small-group or one-to-one tutoring sessions
- Help students develop positive study habits and skills
- Assist students with projects and test/quiz preparation
- Explain concepts and ask questions that encourage students to think and work independently
- In center – Be at work on time as scheduled
- Online sessions – access five minutes before time to adjust video and audio
- Maintain contact with the center director and appropriate staff members
- Proctor course level tests under supervision of testing staff
- Exhibit respect and a helpful attitude toward all students and NCMC faculty and staff
- Associates Degree required
Education: Associates degree required.
Experience: Prior tutoring/teaching experience may substitute for degree, depending on individual situation.
Skills: Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written. Strong customer service skills. Ability to utilize interpersonal skill with faculty, students, and the public.
Physical Demands: Remain stationary for extended period of time while tutoring students; ascending and descending stairs; Moving about between buildings on the NCMC campus; reaching, pulling, and pushing when filing; able to do repetitive tasks; remain stationary at a desk while typing and answering phones; move about the Tutoring Center assisting customers with questions and ensuring their needs are met.
Environmental Demands: Fluctuations while moving on tile and carpeted floors in a heated and air-conditioned environment.