Medical Laboratory Technician
The AAS in Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) is a one-plus-one degree program that is set up within the Missouri Health Professions Consortium (MHPC). NCMC is one of five colleges in the MHPC consortium that offers the MLT program. NCMC offers and enrolls students in the general education coursework during their freshman year. The sophomore level (professional level) coursework is taught by MACC and TRC faculty and is broadcast to MLT students at other campuses using interactive television (ITV) or online learning management system technology.
What is a Medical Laboratory Technician?
Medical laboratory technicians collect samples and perform tests to analyze body fluids, tissue and other substances. Their duties typically include: analyze body fluids, such as blood, urine, and tissue samples, and record normal and abnormal findings; study blood samples for use in transfusions by identifying the number of cells, the cell morphology, or the blood group, blood type, and compatibility with other blood types; operate sophisticated laboratory equipment, such as microscopes and cell counters; use automated equipment and computerized instruments capable of performing a number of tests at the same time; log data from medical tests and enter results into patients medical record; discuss results and findings with physicians; and supervise or train other medical laboratory technicians.
- General Education courses taken at NCMC
- On-Campus or virtual classroom instruction at NCMC via ITV
- On-Campus laboratory instruction at MACC (Mexico, MO Campus) or TRC at designated times during fall and spring semesters to participate in centralized labs sessions
- Off-Campus clinical rotations
- Determined by MLT faculty
- Minimum pre-requisite GPA required is 2.5
- TEAS Test: Minimum composite in 50th percentile
- MLT Informational Flier
- Medical Laboratory Technician Cost
- Medical Laboratory Technician Application
- Medical Laboratory Technician Curriculum
Job outlook and wage information from What Can I Do With This Major are based on national data.
NCMC Contact Information
Kristi Cutsinger, MBA
Health Sciences Program Coordinator
North Central Missouri College
1301 Main Street
Trenton, MO 64683
(660) 359-3948 ext. 1284
Medical Laboratory Technician Contact
Alese Thompson, MS, MLS (ASCP)
MLT & Phlebotomy Program Coordinator
Moberly Area Community College
2900 Doreli Lane
Mexico, MO 65265
573-582-0817 ext. 13624